How to Pass the Social Work Licensing Exam (LMSW)

by 23:09 0 comments
While I was studying for my LMSW exam, I often searched the internet for advice from recent graduates who had just passed 2011 social work exam. I kind of felt alone in my situation although I knew others were studying too! The Master's level social work exam (LMSW) is a 170 question multiple choice test, with only 150 questions counting toward the score. Also, the ASWB changed the exam in 2011 to reflect current social work practice. I had no idea if this was a good or a bad thing, but I was worried because the pass rate for the 2010 ASWB Master exam is 74.3% plus I also heard about social workers failing many times.

Oh no! I was never a good test taker, I have always had test-taking anxiety, and now I have to pass a standardized exam to become a social worker! There was so much material to study and the pile of books I had from my upcoming study course was overwhelming. I had no idea where to begin, so I waited until I started the study course offered by Adelphi University. The instructor suggested that we take a practice exam to determine what areas we need to concentrate on based on a percentage breakdown of the number of questions answered correctly on each topic. I was freaking out! I only got a 51~~I knew I had a lot of work to do!

The study course ultimately taught me to analyze each question by deciding if it was a situational or factual question. The next steps are to decide who the client is and what the clinician should do in the given scenario. Nearly all questions on the actual Master's level social work licensing exam (in New York) were: what happens FIRST, what happens NEXT, or what is the BEST choice to make (by the clinician). They all had factual information built into the question.

How to pass the social work licensing exam:

Don't over think the questions. They are not meant to trick you, and sometimes the right answer is obvious.

Ask yourself at every question - what is in the best interest of the client? No matter how reasonable other answers are, most questions focus on the client, not their family, doctor, or others needs and wishes.

Take a lot of practice exams. When I was ready to sit for the exam, I noticed a pattern in the questions and I began to understand what type of answer the "test makers" wanted. It is certainly not always what we would do in social work practice!

If it is possible, take as long as you need to prepare for the exam. I studied for nearly 5 months so that I could understand the information enough so that I did not have to memorize all of it. For instance, compare the problem solving model (acknowledge problem, define problem, brainstorm solutions, evaluate options, implement intervention strategies, and evaluate outcome) to program development (problem statement, goal/plan, resources, objectives, decide on program operation - evaluation tools, cost, usefulness of program, implementation, and evaluation). In my opinion, the steps are so similar that if I had a question related to either one, I would know what was involved in the process. I placed each similar topic on an index card and kept them paper clipped together. Of course, there are plenty of instances where memorization is necessary.

While I look for a social worker position, I have created a website to help social work graduates study for the 2011 Social Work Exam.

The website is: [http://www.socialworkexamhelp.com/] Please use this as a study guide and test exam prep only and understand that it is not inclusive of all study material needed for the examination(s). This information can be useful for those studying to obtain a social work license for the national ASWB exams including the BSW, LMSW, LSW, LCSW, and the LMHC, LMFT (bachelor, master's, advanced generalists, clinical social work, case work, family therapy, & mental health counseling). I have also included a feedback section, so please keep me up-to-date on your progress. Remember, you can do this - and you deserve it!


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6388564

Visit this social worker cpd training

Emman

Admin

Visit our website http://socialworkprocesses.co.uk we are providing social worker online continuing professional development training.

0 comments: